Even though the regular process for audition has ended, audition process via an appointment is still on-ongoing. Contact Dr. Grandis at email@example.com to schedule for an appointment.
Membership in the William & Mary Symphony Orchestra is open by audition to all members of the William & Mary community. All new and returning members are required to audition.
Each audition will last no more than 15 minutes and consists of:
- A selection of a solo work for your instrument (sonata, concerto, etude, etc.) which should not exceed 5 minutes.
- Orchestral excerpts for your instrument, posted as PDFs.
- No need to bring auxiliary instruments (piccolo, english horn, bass clarinet, Eb clar., contrabassoon, etc.) unless new members desire to show special proficiency.
- Please Note: If multiple parts are included on your instrument’s audition PDF, please make sure to prepare the excerpts marked in red brackets on all parts
Exception for 2017-2018: There will be no Spring auditions this year. Usually, Spring auditions are retention auditions intended to ensure that orchestra musicians keep practicing over the long break between semesters. Since the audition material will be performed in October, we will not have mandatory auditions in the spring. However, the music director will audition potential new members at this time. Please contact him for more information.
Please contact Dr. Grandis at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding the audition procedure. Trouble accessing the audition music? contact email@example.com for support.
Preparing the full part is highly recommended, but you will only be asked to play the excerpts in brackets at the audition. Note that all new incoming violinists should prepare the Violin I part.
- Violin I
- Violin II (Returning Violin II only)
- Harp (Not Yet Available)
- French Horn